Development Permits

Development Permits

What is a development?

Development is the act of changing the use of land by:

  • Constructing buildings
  • Replacing or repairing existing buildings
  • Relocating or demolishing a building or structure
  • Changing the land by grading, tree clearing, excavating or stockpiling
  • Change the type of business or use being conducted

Development permits are regulated by the Town's Land Use Bylaw.  Development permit applications and associated information is available below. 

Choose to submit your application electronically or emailing us a copy of the PDF application form to our Planning and Development Officer.

Please note: if you wish to use the built in "submit" feature, you will need to use Adobe Acrobat to complete and submit the file. 

Fillable PDF Forms
Residential Application
Non-Residential Development Application
Home Occupation Application
Demolition Application
Agreement for Time Extension
Sign Application
Voluntary Waiver of Claims
Residential Secondary Suite Application
Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application


Development Fees

Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE (except where noted) once an application has been processed. 

Please note starting any development before a permit is issued will result in double the fees.


Permitted Use - are land uses that are allowed in the district 'as a right', as long as it complies with all applicable land use bylaw rules. 

Discretionary A - are land uses that are allowed in the district provided the details of the development 'fit' with the circumstances of the neighborhood.  These uses are within the discretion of the Planning & Development Officer.

Discretionary B - are land uses that are allowed in the district provided the details of the development 'fit' with the circumstances of the neighborhood but may require variances to certain standards.  These uses are within the discretion of the Municipal Planning Commission/Development Authority.

  Permitted Use Discretionary A Discretionary B
New Builds      
Primary Residences $100.00 $150.00 $200.00
Secondary Suites     $300.00
Duplex, Triplex, Four Plex $100.00/unit $150.00/unit add $200.00
Multi-family Dwelling:      
5-20 units $400.00   add $200.00
21-50 units $500.00   add $200.00
Moved In Buildings      
Residences   $150.00  
Garages   $150.00  
Storage Shops/Warehouses   $150.00  
Office (small)   $150.00  
Office (large - ATCO style)     $250.00
Seacan/Containers     $250.00
Additions and Accessory Buildings      
Covered or uncovered decks/attached decks and carports/porch/breezeways $75.00   $125.00
< 200 sq ft. $75.00   $125.00
200-600 sq ft. $100.00   $150.00
> 600 sq ft. $150.00   $300.00
Minor Structural Changes $75.00    
Major Structural Changes   $150.00  
Home Occupations      
Impact Factor 1 n/a n/a n/a
Impact Factor 2 $75.00 $150.00  
Impact Factor 3   $200.00 $250.00
Note: business license fees are in addition to permit fees      


  Permitted Use Discretionary A Discretionary B
Listed uses within Bylaw (other than list below) $75.00 $150.00 $250.00
Minor change or use or occupancy $75.00 $100.00 $200.00
Major change or use of occupancy   $150.00 $300.00
Parking lots $200.00 $250.00 $300.00
Dealerships/car & trailer sales/auto repair, etc. $200.00 $250.00 $300.00
Public service buildings (churches/schools/community halls/police stations/ auditoriums) $300.00 $350.00 $550.00
Garages (built or moved in) $100.00 $150.00 $250.00
0-5000 sq ft. $200.00 $250.00 $450.00
5001-20,000 sq ft. $300.00 $350.00 $550.00
20,001-50,000 sq ft. $400.00 $450.00 $650.00
>50,000 sq ft. $500.00 $550.00 $750.00
Office (ATCO style trailer) $75.00 $150.00 $300.00
Seacans/containers/compartments $100.00 $200.00 $350.00
Office structures $100.00 $150.00 $200.00
Gravel extraction   $150.00 $300.00
Minor   $150.00 $300.00
Major   $250.00 $400.00
Historic Area      
Minor structural changes    $100.00  
Major structural changes     $250.00
Paint refresh of previously approved colour $25.00    
Moved in Buildings      
Storage shops/warehouses $100.00 $175.00 $250.00
Office structures (small) $100.00 $175.00 $250.00
Office (ATCO style trailer) $100.00 $175.00 $250.00
Sea cans/containers/compartments $150.00 $200.00 $250.00
Campgrounds/major recreation   $150.00 $300.00
Listed signs within bylaw (other than below) $75.00 $125.00 $250.00
Portable and temporary $25.00
Community/special events At the discretion of the Development Authority
Land Use Bylaw Amendment      
Amendment fee $500.00


Development Permits

See More of Fort Macleod

There is so much to do in Fort Macleod. Discover things like our beautiful historic Main Street, our new off leash dog park, or head across the green bridge for a walk in our Wilderness Park.