Permit Applications and Forms


Icon Building Permit Application 2020

201.15 KB Download

Icon Business Incentive Application

171.94 KB Download

Icon Business License Application

362.35 KB Download

Icon Demolition Application

164.86 KB Download

Icon Development Application Site Plan Grid

68.53 KB Download

Icon Development Fees 2015

29.88 KB Download

Icon Electrical Permit Application 2020

199.50 KB Download

Icon Gas Permit Application 2020

196.79 KB Download

Icon Home Occupation Development Permit Application

246.32 KB Download

Icon Land Use Amendment Application

196.64 KB Download

Icon Non Residential Development Permit Application

253.15 KB Download

Icon Plumbing Application Form 2020

200.78 KB Download

Icon Private Sewage Disposal System Permit Application 2020

234.27 KB Download

Icon Request for Service Installation

14.14 KB Download

Icon Residential Development Permit Application

227.63 KB Download

Icon Residential Secondary Suite Development Application

256.15 KB Download

Icon Sign Development Permit Application

243.59 KB Download

Icon Subdivision Request for Extension Form

31.36 KB Download

Icon Telecommunications Siting Application

177.57 KB Download

Icon Time Extension Agreement

160.37 KB Download

Icon Urban Subdivision Application Package

242.51 KB Download

Icon Voluntary Waiver of Claims

147.87 KB Download

Land Use Bylaw

What is a Land Use by-law?

A Land Use by-law controls the use of land in your community. It states exactly:


  • how land may be used
  • where buildings and other structures can be located
  • the types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used
  • the lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street.

An official plan sets out your municipality’s general policies for future land use. Land Use by-laws put the plan into effect and provide for its day-to-day administration. They contain specific requirements that are legally enforceable. Construction or new development that doesn’t comply with a Land Use by-law is not allowed, and the municipality will refuse to issue a building permit. Many municipalities have a comprehensive Land Use by-law that divides the municipality into different land use zones, with detailed maps. The by-law specifies the permitted uses (e.g. commercial or residential) and the required standards (e.g. building size and location) in each zone.

Please follow this link for Bylaw 1882 – you will be directed to the ORRSC website :

For the public GIS mapping system please follow this link:

Why do you need a zoning by-law?
A Land Use by-law:


  • implements the objectives and policies of a municipality’s official
  • provides a legal way of managing land use and future development
  • in addition to the official plan, protects you from conflicting and possibly dangerous land uses in your community.
What is a Land Use by-law amendment?
If you want to use or develop your property in a way that is not allowed by the Land Use by-law, you may apply for a zoning change, also known as rezoning. However,  council can consider a change only if the new use is allowed by the official plan. Before you apply for rezoning, you should talk to the municipal staff for advice and information. You must complete an application form which requires information by the municipality. Most municipalities require that you pay an application fee.

Compliance Certificates

A Compliance Certificate is confirmation from the Town that all buildings and structures identified on the property have met the regulations under the Town of Fort Macleod’s Land Use Bylaw , and have the appropriate building permits.

Please Contact the Development Officer for more information as to what is required for submission.

403-553-4425 Ext 227

Business Licensing

The Town of Fort Macleod requires all resident and non-resident businesses, and hawkers, peddler and vendors to have a current Town of Fort Macleod business license.  For more information on the costs and regulations on business licensing please see the Business License Bylaw.

Business licenses run January 1 through December 31st each year and currently registered businesses will receive a reminder in December that new licenses will be available January 1. Regional Business Licenses are also available. Please see the information below for more

Please display your business’ license in a visible location and keep your dog’s license on their collar in case they escape and decide to go on an adventure.

If you have questions or concerns regarding licensing (either your dog or your business), contact the Town office at 403-553-4425 or email or


Icon Business License Application Form

11.24 MB Download

Home Occupations

HOME OCCUPATION:  an occupation, trade, business, profession or craft, carried on as an accessory use to the use of a dwelling.

Under the provisions of Land Use By-Law No. 1825 and 1836, it is necessary for the applicant to complete an application for a Home Occupation Business.  Once the application has been completed, it is then submitted to the Development Officer.

NOTE:  There may be a waiting period of up to forty (40) days for the processing of the Home Occupation Application. During this waiting period, although the applicant has paid all license fees, the applicant is not permitted to carry on business, trade, profession or craft (unless given permission by the Development Officer).

The Development Officer and/or Municipal Planning Commission will consider the application under the procedures as provided in the provisions of the Land Use By-Law No. 1825.  Once a decision has been reached, the applicant will be notified and, if the application is approved, a Business License for the Home Occupation will be issued.


Icon Bylaw 1836 Business Bylaw 2016

11.24 MB Download

Land Development

Land Development in Fort Macleod is usually done by the town as the owner of most of the vacant, undeveloped land in the community. Sales of town-owned property are normally handled at the Town Office but you may purchase town property through any of the local realtors.

Development Permits and Safety Inspections

Park Enterprises Ltd. is a permitting and inspection Agency located in Lethbridge with over 20 years of experience in the industry. Southern Alberta is our home, and our team of professionals are eager to work with and in the Town of Fort Macleod.

Applications can be obtained from our website, or we can fax or email them directly to you. Submit your completed applications by fax or email and payment can be taken with Visa or MasterCard or submitted by cheque.

This will include permits for:

  • Electrical
  • Gas
  • Building
  • Plumbing/ Private Sewage Disposal

All new Permit Applications will be made directly to Park Enterprises Ltd.

The Town Office will NOT BE PROCESSING ANY APPLICATIONS OR FEES for the above noted permits.

You can expect a high quality of service from our team as well as flexibility as we transition and work together. Our team looks forward to working together to meet your needs, answer any questions and ensure the safe completion of your projects! Phone, fax or email with any concerns, questions or inspection requests.

All permits currently in process through Superior Safety Codes will be handled by that agency until the file is completed and closed.  Transition of Services starting July 1, 2016

#10, 491 W.T. Hill Blvd. S.
Lethbridge, AB   T1J 1Y6
Tel:  (403) 329-3747 Fax:  (403) 329-8514
Toll Free: 1-800-621-5440


Frequently Asked Development Questions

The following FAQ sheets answer the top question in Development. For more information call the Planning and Development department at (403)553-4425.